In regards to just beauty, there have been some great products that have started to make their way to the shelves. Model and activist Josie Maran has started her own beauty line, Josie Maran Cosmetics, with everything being eco-friendly, non animal tested and safe for human application. One huge concern with cosmetic products is the use of formaldehyde. It's completely carcinogenic and in many nail polishes, mascara's and eye shadows. Along with formaldehyde being toted as a health hazard, there are also parabens and phalates that we don't know how they affect us long term. For good reference regarding what to look for, here's a guideline that was recently listed in the Huffington Post:
1. Mercury: A tiny amount of this potent nervous-system toxin, which accumulates in the body, is allowed as a preservative in eye-area cosmetics, such as mascara.
2. Coal-tar Colors: These chemicals are found in many "FD&C" or "D&C" colors used in makeup and hair dye. FD&C Blue 1 and FD &C Green 3 are carcinogenic, and impurities in other colors -- D&C Red 33, FD&C Yellow 5 and FD&C Yellow 6 -- have been shown to cause cancer when applied to the skin.
3. Formaldehyde: Found in eye shadows, mascaras and nail polishes, formaldehyde is "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen," according to the National Toxicology Program's "Ninth Report on Carcinogens" (January 2001). The EPA classifies it as a probable human carcinogen. In its liquid state, formaldehyde, present in the ingredients DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, and quaternium-15, can be absorbed through the skin and nails.
Some other company's that offer natural, organic, eco-friendly products are:
1) Butter London...Nail Care
2) Sprout Wellness...Body Care
3) Ila...Skin Care
There are many other's out there, so if you're looking to go "au natural" without really going naked spend a little time researching, you're surely to find exactly what you're looking for. Take care of yourselves and one another...xoxo